Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Toddlerville

Oh my goodness, since approximately March (when I had my surgery), Victoria has been a bit “difficult”. I really don’t know any other way to put it. Currently, her bad behaviors are walking up and hitting me (Usually only me), screaming ‘no’ at the top her lungs, stomping on my feet, throwing things, and yelling “I don’t like that”. Last night, I didn’t feel the best, my jaw hurt, my body hurt, and I felt like garbage. She screamed and cried about not being able to go outside, she screamed and cried about coming in the house, she cried and threw toys about putting her pajamas and lotion on. Multiple times she just walked up and hit me. She received multiple time outs for hitting me and really she didn’t give a damn. They had zero effect on her. I’ve tried talking to her in a whisper about how hitting and screening isn’t nice. I’ve tried taking away privledges (like WallE movie, and her one coveted juice box per day), I’ve tried hugging, and redirecting. I just don’t know what to do. I’m terrified that she has become a little bratty terror, and concerned why the majority is targeted at me. There is so much to do in the evenings (and I am just doing the miniumum folks), that I can’t give her hours of undivided attention. I sit and talk to her while we eat. I spend time reading or trying to do a puzzle with her. I talk to her while I get ready for bed. We do things like play catch and use sidewalk chalk, take a ride in her little car, walk to the mailbox, and water the plants together, sometimes she helps me cook.

Somehow I feel like I am not giving her the right kind or amount of attention.

5 comments:

Searching for Serenity said...

I can totally relate to this right now.

I'll add to this by saying that I don't believe it's that I'm not giving him the right amount of attention, I think it's not the right kind of attention. He thrives interaction but also the independence to do things on his own. Finding a balance is tough!!

Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

it has to be a stage, right? they can hug you one minute and bite you the next! :)

xx

Anonymous said...

Toddlers are a handful as a rule. Do you think it is out of the ordinary? Kelly

Julie said...

We started using techniques outlined in the Love & Logic Magic program. The book we got is for early childhood years and it works super well. I took a workshop at church recently to reinforce what I learned in the book and I highly recommend it. They have a Facebook page called Love and Logic Institute which has links to their website where you can buy their books and stuff. Seriously check it out - I think it would totally work for you. xoxo

Barb said...

Sounds like most of the 2 yr olds I've known. I dread it