Sunday, May 18, 2008

this child is already causing me worry

The baby usually moves around like crazy. Her super active period is from around 5:45 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and a bit less active from 7:00 - 10:00 p.m. She is randomly active all day, but these are times when I am acutely aware of her presence. Thursday there is no usual movement. Some light flutters, small taps, but not the rolling and kicking and shaking I had come to expect and love. I counted movements and was still getting greater than 10 per hour (which every reference says is good). But it felt very strange and different. I also felt a bit more movement above the bellybutton when usually it is all very low in my pelvis. Friday I felt even less movement. I called the doctor's office and they had me come in that afternoon. That's when I really started to worry. What if something happened to her? What about the stuff that I prepared for her - was it a jinx or something. I went in.... nothing too much was said. It was my regular doctor in that day (yeah!) and my favorite medical assistant. They did an ultrasound and he said everything looked great!!!! He checked four different points - the lungs, the level of amniotic fluid, the heart, and something else. She was making the normal fluidish breathing attempts that are expected at her gestational age. He pointed out her mouth was opening and closing and she was trying to bring her hands to her mouth. Also her feet, which were up near her ears.

Yes, she is in the frank breech position and I will do whatever I can to make this child turn. I have a few weeks yet - about 5 - where they start to consider that the permenant position. Super.

I am just glad she is okay. No real comments on the changes in movement and again very quiet again yesterday and a little less today. I guess she's just flipped positions and is now resting. It's strange because I havent' been too stressed this pregnancy and have had a peaceful feeling that all would work out. Thus... the worry descended on me very quickly and it was not a good feeling. All is well however.

The worst thing is that I woke up in the night coughing and now I have my boss's cold. My throat hurts something awful. Ugh. I won't be going to work tomorrow and I have LOADS to do. Plus I'm gone half a day THursday and Friday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad everything is going okay.... What a scare!