Sunday, April 4, 2010

We had quite a nice Easter weekend. My family was upset that I didn't come and visit, but a 9 hour round trip in traffic with a toddler that doesn't like to sit was just too much for me (and my ears!).

Friday Vi's school was closed and P had the day off. I did not but decided to use a vacation day :) Since the weather was forecast to be warm, we went to the Toledo Zoo, about 50 minutes' drive. I had heard really good things about the zoo, and the Detroit Zoo was not as nice as it used to be due to mismanagement (pretty much like the rest of the city). Appartently other people had the same idea, because it was a 30 minute wait to turn into the parking lot. We unloaded and hit the exhibits. We saw the polar bear, the wolves (sleeping), the gorillas (V's favorite), the penguins (V attempted to throw her hat in, but we caught it just in time), elephants, meerkats, rhinos, giraffes (a baby giraffe), orangatangs, turtles. It really is a nice little zoo. P would lift V out of the stoller and carry her up close to the exhibits, and I would follow with the stoller. It worked out very well, and V was quite excited!

On Saturday we cleaned the house and P;s brother, girlfriend and his two teenage children had offered to come over for the Holiday. I also went to the gym that morning (score). P made a nice dinner - ham, mashed garlic potatoes, salad and I made deviled eggs. I wanted cheesecake for dessert, but P made fried Snickers bars.

Sunday the company was still here and I took V and I to 8:30 mass (no one else would go with us) It was very crowded. V was pretty well behaved. She sat nicely and ate her Cheerios until the beginning of the Homily. Then I let her walk around next to the pew, where she cried "no, mama". I took her out and let her run around the vestibule which she went nuts over, because it is SO FUN to run around in a church entry way! She kept walking by the church nursery door and wanting to go in, it was empty for the early mass. Finally I went in and she was delighted to play with the toys and I could hear mass via the speaker. Right before communion we went back to our seats and she kicked up a fuss. I took our stuff and carried her up to communion. She cried and fussed and tried to sit down. I took the wine (the host has gluten) and we left.

When we got home we gave V her basket. We have a great video of her tossing the toys and books, etc and going STRAIGHT for the candy. She has developed a taste for candy, despite us rarely giving her any at all. She loved jellybeans and when I wouldn't unwrap a mini-Hershey bar for her, she took it to all the adults to try and get someone to open it for her. The egg hunt (12 eggs) was a great success. I led her to the eggs and she eagerly picked it up and started looking for the next one.


All in all it was a good weekend.

3 comments:

Searching for Serenity said...

I bet V loved going to the zoo! I'm so excited. We're planning to take Nugget on his first birthday.

I'm curious, what are fried Snicker bars? And how can I get some asap???

Kelly said...

Cheerios are so great at places like church, older sibs sports events, the car. I dont' know what we would do without them! Glad V enjoyed her weekend and you too!

MrsSpock said...

We went to the Cincy zoo this weekend and loved it. Ended up getting a membership.

I don't go to church, but my mother once took J to Mass with her, and he peed all over the pew. Luckily, everyone thought it was funny.