Sunday, August 1, 2010

dental implant woes

Last night after four doses of Flagyl, I thought my implants and jaw looked better and less swollen. It turns out, the implant started to migrate upwards out of the socket drilled in pure bone and protrude through my gums. I phoned the fellow on call and on the way to the ER, it fell out. He irrigated the hole in the bone and sent me home. I searched the literature and I cannot find one SINGLE case of this happening. There are many cases of implants failing (about 10%), usually they become loose and and have to be removed. Never have I heard of the implant working its way out of the bone in this manner. Two of the three remaining implants are loose, and we are watching them carefully. The crazy thing is that this was completely painless.


I'm just so disappointed.

4 comments:

MrsSpock said...

Holy cow! That really sucks!

Kelly said...

Jen,

You've been through a lot and I am thinking of you.

Searching for Serenity said...

Damn. What are the chances?

So glad there is not pain involved.

Hang in there.

Julie said...

ugh. I'm so sorry, Jen. What now? What can they do? Praying for you that it can be fixed and you can be made whole again. I'm sorry you have to deal with this :(. xoxo