Friday, May 15, 2009

Update on Vi's delay

So when the health department lady came back, she really didn't have a whole lot to offer. The rcommendation was that since Vi is covered under private insurance, we should ask for a consult to a physical therapist. So I called physical therapy through the same system her ped is in. The only place that would take a child her age is 30 minutes away, in the town where I work. Thus, I would have to drive 20 min to were we live, pick up Vi at daycare, drive 30 min to this place and then drive 20 minutes home. I don't see it happening at all. I am going to look for a place closer.

The good news as I've said before is that Vi cognitively is ahead - around 12 months age and verbally a bit ahead as well. Her gross motor skills are still behind. She can sit up welland rocks back and forth constantly on all fours. However, she can't pull up, crawl, go from laying to sitting and back, stand unsupported and still exhibits some head lag. I have seen progress, but I would like to see more.

I am not as freaked out and teary as I used to be about it. I keep working with her like crazy to try and make her do things physically. Now I feel like she can catch up.

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Hey! it's great that vi is ahead cognitively. Personally, I think that speaks volumes--and, I think, it's the most important.

Christian is pulling up, but he's not crawling (rarely even gets up on all fours, although he constantly tries to get into crawling position from sitting--so close, but not quite there; he's gone from tummy to sitting only a few times (none recently)....anyway, I'm trying to point out that she really may not be behind as far as you or the rn thinks. The books say kids this age should be doing all these things. But, I'm in a mother's group and many are not pulling up or crawling yet--in fact, most are not. All these kids can't be delayed, you know?

It sounds like there are some issues, but they may not be as bad as you think!

Hang in there!

Julie said...

I agree with Alisha - the cognitive and verbal skills are a great sign! :) I'm sure the physical/motor skills will follow soon - every baby develops at a unique pace. Did you know that crawling is no longer considered a milestone by most pediatricians!? Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!