Monday, January 24, 2011

Grateful

I (am) well, was, sitting here with Vi on my lap, having her eat cereal, watching an Elmo video in front of the fireplace (until her dad came in and she deserted me).

Mrs. Spock had posted about another fellow infertile - one I didn't actually know about, so I was not familiar with her story. She became pregnant after 6 years of trying and this week she gave birth to her daughter Lola. And Lola died after birth. Words cannot express how awful this is. How horrible and terrible and rotten and crappy and it makes you downright lose your faith in all that is good in life.

I haven't really ever written about it, but Victoria was quite poorly at birth. Her Apgars were 3-6-9. Three is pretty low. She was rushed off to the ICU and frankly, I'm surprised (but thrilled) that she was not intubed. She recovered nicely. Once P said to me, "can you imagine if we didn't go home with a baby?" He admitted when she was born, it was pretty scary.

I had over 24 hours of labor, two epidurals, a spinal, arrest of dilatation, Victoria went into respiratory distress and I had to have an emergency C-section during which NO ONE would answer me regarding the condition of MY BABY that didn't cry and was wisked off to the ICU after a glance. It was all traumatic and hard to talk about even now, but I WENT HOME WITH MY BABY. I can't even imagine and I do not ever want to if that did not happen.

Please everyone, keep Wiseguy and her family in your prayers and thoughts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so terrible. Prayers coming her way.

Kelly -

Searching for Serenity said...

Wiseguys story has shaken me over the last 24 hours. I don't regularly follow her.

What is so astonishing to me is that her family, the doctors...everyone kept the Lola's passing from her for days. She must live in a different place, a different culture where this is 'normal'. My heart breaks for her loss and the betrayal.

As for V! She's a fighter. Thriving and growing like a weed. So happy so is with you.

Anonymous said...

arg. i know. i can't stop thinking about it. it gives me a stomach ache.

...but look at little V now :)

MrsSpock said...

Scary, isn't it? I can't help but think of my own non-moving baby and how miraculous it was that he was born alive. It took a few minutes for us to hear a cry- they had to bag him- and those moments were an eternity.