Friday, January 4, 2008

The specifics

Just to clear up a few things:

I found out about the pregnancy right after Thanksgiving. I was feeling weird, but not the usual signs. I took a home test and then spent a good two weeks in total shock. Seriously.
We had been trying for close to four years. Four doctors told me never, ever. I was also refractory to fertility drugs.
We went to the high risk ObGyn on Dec 20th. They did an ultrasound. I spent the entire visit laughing to myself because I just couldn't believe it. I'm almost 11 weeks. So far, everything looks "normal" and "healthy" - two words that don't usually describe me.
I'm feeling quite good, not too much of an appetite - I lost 6 pounds.
The timing is kind of bad with P starting grad school at MIT, but miracles come when you least expect it.

I think the big thing that made the difference is the wheat free diet. I started the diet in the beginning of July because I've just been so ill this year. Did Vit D & massive iron supplements. Four months later, I'm suddenly able to ovulate? How can it not be connected? I don't care if my antibody tests were negative, I think that is what is wrong with me. Infertility is a well known cause of celiac dx. I had started eating wheat for the month of November due to my big confirmatory tests in December (which obviously now are canceled). I stopped as soon as I found out. I am concerned that will hurt the developing fetus in some way. My stomach is still behaving a little badly so I still am a bit concerned.

Eating Gluten Free was actually much easier for the four months than it has been for the last month or so. Maybe because it is Christmas and there are so many goodies and parties and eating away. I do know I have to be much, much more vigilant than before. Sometimes I will think .. "well this doesn't look like it has gluten in it"... aka spinach dip, BBQ sauce, etc but then I check the package to make sure, and there it is. No Christmas cookies was difficult but I did have some fudge and a few candies, and honestly didn't miss out on much - I'm not supposed to have sugary carbs anyway. But it is hard to be a "freak" especially when there is gourmet pizza at a lunch meeting, homemade stuffing, birthday cake. I'll survive.

I was initially afraid to tell anyone because I didn't want to jinx anything, but mostly everyone knows of our struggles. Please keep us in your prayers.

No comments: