Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day Thoughts

So yesterday was Election Day (really - I didn't know, duh). Many of you don't know but I used to be a big time political activist/campaign worker/party lackey/paid field organizer/organization president etc. My life was politics. The first big election I worked on was Clinton/Gore '92. I still remember the energy, the excitement, the fact that we were changing the world. I saw a lot of that this election with the Barak Obama campaign. Everyone was excited about voting, everyone was excited about Barak. Yesterday, I did not vote for Barak Obama. Yes, I'm surprised too.

I've been a democrat for as long as I can even remember. I remember going to vote with my dad in 1980 and asked if he was going to vote for Reagan. He said that Reagan was a republican and republicans were not for the common working man. I always tended to agree and took that to heart. All my past work on campaigns and in politics was in Democratic Politics. As I grew older and worked hard and made more money, I became more and more concerned about paying so many taxes and having social security when I am older. Also, I've become more pro-military after living overseas and learning about the world. I've always been fairly socially liberal. So that's why I voted for McCain yesterday.

I honestly don't think any of my old democratic colleagues would believe it because I was the most die hard young Democratic there was.

The fact is that I don't dislike Barak Obama at all. I like and respect Joe Biden. Hopefully he can get some good people behind him and do some really good things for the country that don't involve restricting my rights nor increasing my taxes just because I have a job and make money.

No comments: