Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Surviving Post Surgery

I am hanging in there. Much less swelling, but much, much more pain. Lots of pain. Think about gettng kicked in the teeth and super sore cheek muscles. Don't forget the pulsing itchy (weird I know) pain in my lower jaw.

I had four screw implants placed in my lower center jaw. The three screws sticking up through my skin were removed. Also apparently the bone ridge (which was augmentened at my last surgery), was too high, so that had to be lowered by grinding it away with a drill burr. Everything was stitched up neatly with black thread instead of white thread.

Other than the pain, things went much smoother than the last time. We woke up V early and dropped her off at school at 7:10, about an hour earlier than usual. She was surprisingly good natured, but cried to stay with us when we dropped her off. We got there and P was able to come back with me for a bit. The resident started the IV, went over the procedure, and had me sign consent. The nurse set up the EKG and oxygen. They are all ready to get started and the resident says, "oh you aren't pregnant, aren't you? When was your last period?" Uhmm try 25 days ago. I was hoping that I was pregnant. So I had to go pee in a cup. Of course it was negative.

I don't remember that much, but I do remember waking up during the surgery. That can happen with conscious sedation, but despite having it 8 times in the past, that has never happened. I remember them telling me to open my mouth, and that is the extent of it. When I woke up of course they tried to rush me out (are you seeing a pattern here?). I kept telling them I was thirsty and they ignored me. I told them I was having pain and they told me to take Ibuprofen when I got home. Gee, thanks. I made Paul stop at the hospital coffee kiosk and buy me a Diet Coke which I started sipping right away. We ended up getting home around 12:00. He dropped my med prescriptions off and picked me some soup and mashed potatoes form the coney island. I took some of Norco (it was stronger) from my earlier surgery and fell fitfully asleep for a few hours.

The pain came back with a vengence around 4:30 so I took Ibuprofen then. At 6:30 I was still in a lot of pain so I took a dose of the liquid Norco. At 9:30 it is really bad again, so I took one of the oral Norcos. It's dulled somewhat, but not gone. The weirdest things hurt after surgery, like my cheeks (apparently they told my husband I have such a small mouth that they really had to streeeecchhh it open. I feel it now. My upper teeth (which were not touched) are THROBBING. Everything got jarred around.

I am going to sleep in bed tonight instead of in the recliner. That's a plus!


Searching for Serenity said...

Oy vey. I hope you're more comfortable today and that the healing is quick.

Take care!

Swistle said...

OMG, and meanwhile Lindsay Lohan gets HOSPICE-LEVEL NARCOTICS for getting a cavity filled.

Anonymous said...

good grief. here's to a speedy recovery :)

Julie said...

:( I'm sorry - I hope by now you're feeling a lot better! xoxo